Pricing isn’t a topic that we most enjoy, but it is actually a very important part of running a photography business and I am sure if you like our work you would love our business to progress.
We don’t pick our prices without logic or reason – they are not simply pick out of thin air. We need to be sure that we are pricing our self not only to be profitable, but also to be realistic and appropriate.
Input into photo session:
1.good amount of back-and-forth in the pre-session communication with your client. This could be via e-mail, phone or in-person where we will talk about a style, how the session will go and our availability, going over details, options, styling, colours and preparation instructions.
2.The session itself. Getting the studio all set up – setting the temperature right, preparing your backdrops, and organizing the chair and lights. Then the following the session, another hour cleaning up and getting your studio all organized again.
3.Transferring images from the card to computer, doing selections of photos, which might take somewhere around an two hours.
4. The to do basic corrections to all the images it may take somewhere closer to 5 hours to fully retouch all of the images, this is assuming 10 minutes per image for 30 photos.
5. prepare the online gallery and e-mail it to the client. Then to receive clients proof of choice on selected images and to do final editing. Sometimes could be up to 30-60 min per photo if client has special needs.
So say for newborn it is gonna be:
- Newborn photographer who provides soft-proofs online: 9 hours and 15 minutes
- Newborn photographer who retouches all images and then sends and online gallery: 13 hours and 15 minutes
- Newborn photographer who soft-proofs the images for an in-studio ordering appointment: 11 hours
- Newborn photographer who retouches all images and then presents them in an in-studio ordering appointment: 15 hours
The numbers may vary, but this gives a good estimate in terms of averages. I would say that these numbers are fairly accurate, and if anything, maybe slightly conservative.